A@Free spirits distilling

Firearms in a DSP?

5 posts in this topic

If an individual is licensed to carry a firearm, can they enter a DSP with the firearm? I know it is prohibited from bars and all 21 and over establishments but does the same apply to a distillery? 

Alex "living in a gun happy nation" Watts

Free Spirits Distilling

The relevant RCW only mentions places that serve alcohol AND have a 21+ restriction. 

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

"(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon: ...

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the *state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;"

That said, my understanding is that a business has the right to refuse service to any person for non-frivolous reasons (e.g., you don't like their haircut...) as long as that person is not part of a protected class  

I know of at least one WA distiller who often packs heat in his own distillery, and I don't know of any laws that specifically prohibit it. But then, what Skip said.  If someone carrying makes you nervous (as it does me), put up a discreet sign.  Given the nature of the business, I don't imagine you'd get any serious flak about it.

Thanks for the reply. My concern is more towards not excluding individuals who are licensed and legally carrying, than to refusing service to someone who is carrying at my establishment. I don't know the actual statistics...but i feel that about 1 in 4 who pass by my door are packing heat (#rural agricultural community.)

The question came up and I didn't know how to respond. Much appreciated Gentlemen.

Alex Watts

Free Spirits Distilling

This has been an on going argument with my brother, mainly due to the bear that shows up every year. I'm sure that if any firearms are obscured from public view you won't have any issues.