Silver Spur Spirits

2SSB5353 Update! !

10 posts in this topic

Well, 2SSB5353 has passed the House of Representatives yesterday 94 yeas, 3 nays. It's back to the Senate for them to approve the "strike" of samples at farmers markets. I don't think there will be any problems with that and then it's off to the Governor desk for signing. Thanks to everyone who has been a part of getting this bill through legislature.

Great news and great effort!

Congratulation everyone, the more freedoms we have in the marketplace the better! Let's build on this year by year.

The Senate just concurred on the changes the House made to the Senate Bill. Now the bill will be signed by the President of the Senate, then the Speaker of the House, then be delivered to the Governor. I will be meeting with the Governor’s staff to brief them on the bill. I will let you know when the bill is scheduled for the Governor’s action.

I don't understand the reasoning behind allowing only 12 special event permits per year at a distillery. Can anyone shed some light on that one?

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Amendments/House/5353-S2.E%20AMH%20COG%20H2449.2.pdf

Yep. The wine commission tried the same thing, and the chair of the committee said "not without a limit, and that limit should be 12". So, it was pretty easy for us to know what to put in the bill...

I don't understand the reasoning behind allowing only 12 special event permits per year at a distillery. Can anyone shed some light on that one?

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Amendments/House/5353-S2.E%20AMH%20COG%20H2449.2.pdf

Yep. The wine commission tried the same thing, and the chair of the committee said "not without a limit, and that limit should be 12". So, it was pretty easy for us to know what to put in the bill...

Nice work. However, selling at a farmer's market without sampling is pure stupidity. Who in their right mind is going to buy a product new/unknown to them without at least tasting it first? I wish the WA legislature would come out of the prohibition mindset.

Non-profits can only pull 12 Special Event permits each year as well so I'm guessing that factored into it.

The Farmers Markets should be a great addition to our sales opportunities. It's taken 4-5 years to make that one happen since it was first introduced.

Thank you everyone that put time and effort into this bill. This is great progress.

The bill has passed, and the outcome looks great! Thanks to all of the people who put in the hard work to get it here. Here are a couple of links to the bill summary, and other related info:

Final Bill Report

SB 5353 - 2015-16

I especially like the clause allowing students under 21 to taste spirits as part of an educational program. As an industry, we need to continue working with our local universities and tech schools to develop programs that cultivate and inspire our future talent pool.