Jason Parker

How To "Watch" Forums

1 post in this topic

Hello Guild Member,

Did you know that the best way to stay alerted to new postings is to subscribe to the individual forums? When you’ve done this, you’ll receive an email when a new topic is posted. You’ll be able to read the contents of the posting in the email. If you wish to respond to the posting, you can just click on the link right in the email.

In order to get all postings made on the forum, you’ll have to subscribe to all the sections of the forum. Here’s how to do that:

1. Click the tab labeled "Forums" at the top, left of the screen, directly under the word “Washington”, to get to the list of forum headings.

2. Click on a forum heading (i.e., “Guild Announcements").

3. Click on the brown and blue “Watch Forum" button in the top, right-hand section of the screen.

4. Select when you would like to be notified that a new topic has been posted—immediately, daily, weekly, not at all, or not if you’re on the forum at the time the posting is made. Since there are usually no more than six to eight postings per week, I suggest you sign up for “Immediate Notification”. If traffic on the forum picks up, you can always switch to a daily or weekly digest.

5. Click the “Proceed” button at the bottom of the screen.

6. Repeat the above process for all forums you have permissions to view.

If you don't want alerts for a whole section, such as General Discussion, but you want to follow a particular topic, you can apply the same process with the "Watch Topic" button at the top right of the page.

Note: if after you click on the “Watch Forum” button (step 3), you receive an error message, it’s likely that you’ve already subscribed to the forum, or that you do not have permission to view the forum. If you don’t think either of these should be true, please use the “contact forum administrator” link on the error page to ask for help.

That's it! You should now get emails sent to your inbox whenever something is posted to that forum.

I hope this helps. See you online!

Edited by Gwydion Stone
I've moved the above post from an old thread and pinned it here with updated and more detailed instructions, at Jason's request.