Steven Stone

July 8th Meeting

19 posts in this topic

Who's interested in getting together on Friday, July 1st? We're all busy with our work, but we need to nail down some near term goals and talk about the upcoming initiative.

Speaking of which, I spoke to a Costco lawyer familiar with the initiative. He was willing to meet up to talk things over. It's too late to make changes to the initiative, but it's not too late to make changes to the final bill should the initiative pass. Should I invite him?

Kirby, can you host again?

The last time I spoke to a few members, they agreed that Friday evening was a good time for them.

However, we could do a Sunday or Monday next time.

I just spoke to Kirby. We are on for Friday at 7pm at the Oola Distillery.

Oola Distillery

1314 E. Union St.

Seattle, WA 98122

OK, I just spoke to Kirby again. We both decided that the Friday before July 4th was probably not the best night for a meeting. So, let's push it back a week.

Same place - Same time - One week later - July 8th.

I just spoke to Kirby. We are on for Friday at 7pm at the Oola Distillery.

Oola Distillery

1314 E. Union St.

Seattle, WA 98122

Thanks, for the update, Steven. See you all next week!

Hope everyone has a good Fourth.

Is there an agenda set? I have some details about the Oregon Distillers Guild and how they have set things up. Erik Martin, President, is also willing to come up at some point in time to discuss their strategy and tactics for the ODG.

I imagine that most of the talk will be around the new initiative 1183. The Seattle Times reported that the backers have made an appointment to turn in the necessary signatures on Friday.

http://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/initiatives/text/i1183.pdf

But, yes, we should also talk about organizing the guild more so that we can speak from a combined voice, have tasting festivals, etc.

So, who all is coming tonight?

Oola

Sound Spirits

Gnostalgic Spirits

Destiny Spirits

Ballard Bootlegger

Letterpress

Marysville

Anyone else?

So, who all is coming tonight?

Oola

Sound Spirits

Gnostalgic Spirits

Destiny Spirits

Ballard Bootlegger

Letterpress

Marysville

Anyone else?

I'll try to make it.

Jason Parker

Apologies from The Ellensburg Distillery. Next time, perhaps.

Where does the guild stand on I-1183?

Have a good meeting, and a great weekend!

All the best,

Rusty

Where does the guild stand on I-1183?

We'll be discussing it tonight.

Both distillers as well as a lot of bartenders to whom I've spoken do not like the 10,000 sqft minimum rule.

I plan on talking to all of the DSP holders by phone over the next week or two to get their input.

~S

Present

Kirby - Oola

Jason - Dirby

Todd - Destiny

Steven - Sound

Daleen - Batch206

Linda&Larry - Sidetrack

Whitney - Meriwether

Sue - Whiskah River

Andrew - Liberty

I know there were a few others...someone help me out.

A short summary.

Most of the meeting was used to discuss the new initiative - 1183. Most feel that the worst part about it is the 10K sqft rule that will limit the number of small specialty stores available.

Then, discussion turned to what our response/stance should be. Most of the group thought a good strategy would be to have the guild stay neutral, but work behind the scenes with costco and the legislature to get an amendment to the initiative passed that would allow for entrepreneurial liquor stores (they would be required to have a majority of their shelf space devoted to beer, wine and or spirits). Kirby and I will be contacting all the WA DSP's to get their take on the situation.

Then, Todd proposed that we invite the OR Distillers Guild leaders up to speak to us on their experiences in getting their organization up and running. Everyone agreed that that was a great idea.

Finally, the idea was put forth to again try and establish regular meeting dates. After the next meeting, we will alternate between the 2nd Friday and 2nd Sunday each month. The next date is Friday Aug. 12th at 6pm, this time at Sound Spirits. The Costco contact that I established will be there to discuss the initiative with us.

Thanks for the update Steven. I had to bail at the last minute when I was reminded that I had double-booked myself.

I like the idea of trying to work with Costco, but I remain skeptical that they'll feel motivated to cooperate with a tiny and fledgling industry group. I'd feel better if I thought they would actually sell locally-produced spirits at their Washington stores instead of just the typical corporate brands.

For the record, I'm of course against the 10Ksf rule, and for small stores. Perhaps a stipulation that if a store is under 10Ksf, then a certain percentage of product must be wine/beer/spirits. Although I'm not sure why mom-n-pop stores shouldn't be allowed to sell spirits if they're allowed to sell beer and wine. There needs to be an across-the-board field-leveling for all beverage alcohol. The distinctions—in terms of potential for abuse—between beer, wine, and spirits are imaginary.

Hey all. As promised, I contacted Chris Hilgenfeld to come to talk at the next meeting about employment and (especially) volunteer labor issues. He'd also be happy to lend an attorney's opinion on the 1183 stuff.

He might be late, depending on traffic, as he's in Olympia that day for a hearing, so we might want to schedule him second or just do our usual milling around and sampling delicious beverages until he arrives.